Spring is coming just around the corner, and so is the best time to buy avocados! (I think?) I LOVE these delicious, healthy-fat-full vegetables, and they make a delicious and filling addition to any salad, salsa, meat dish… you name it! One of the best ways to eat it, however, is in a creamy, rich soup!
Chilled soups are wonderful in the spring and summertime, and they tend to be incredibly easy to prepare. This creamy avocado soup is no exception.
Yield 4 servings
Time 15 minutes
* blender (able to crush ice)
* large frying pan
* paper towels
* 4 bowls
* 3 limes
* 3 c water with ice
* 3 avocados, halved and pitted
* 1 glove garlic, minced
* 1⁄2 small jalapeño pepper with seeds, chopped (optional but a good addition)
* 1 t coarse salt
* 21⁄2 T olive oil
* 1 large corn tortilla, cut into strips (optional)
* fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped (garnish)
1. Cut half of one lime into wedges and set aside. Squeeze the other 21⁄2 limes into blender and add ice water, avocado (use a spoon to scoop out the flesh), garlic, jalapeño, and salt. Blend until smooth and place in refrigerator while you prepare tortilla. (if desired)
2. Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Fry tortilla strips about 2 minutes, until crunchy. Place on paper towels to drain and sprinkle with salt.
3. Ladle soup into bowls, followed by tortilla strips and cilantro. Serve immediately, with lime wedges on the side for looks!